- "Since Rin’s arms are tiny stumps due to a severe birth defect and subsequent surgery, she uses her feet and occasionally her mouth to do everything, which includes painting. Because of her disability, using skirts is tough, so Rin is wearing a boy’s uniform at school. Her creativity is matched by her philosophical streak: Rin is fond of occasionally getting lost in thought and giving voice to abstract ideas about man, the universe, and other things that thoroughly confuse people"
- — Official Description
Rin Tezuka (手塚琳, Tezuka Rin) is a highly talented artist in class 3-4 of Yamaku. Lacking arms due to a birth defect (RAITA's original sketch labelled her as a 'Thalidomide Baby'), Rin uses her feet, and occasionally her mouth, for all daily tasks. This makes her ill-suited to wear the skirt and blouse of most female students at Yamaku, so she is permitted to wear the boy's uniform instead.
Rin is a slim girl of a slightly above average height, standing taller than both Shizune and Emi. She has close-cropped auburn hair and dark green eyes. She is usually seen wearing a school uniform, but unlike most girls she wears the boys' uniform with her sleeves tied up in knots, and a pair of black sandals. During her time in Sae's Gallery she's still seen wearing her usual school shirt underneath a pair of blue overalls.
Rin has a deadpan and confusing personality. She often speaks in simile riddles and can be hard to understand due to the fact she often speaks in a childish manner, despite this she can be serious when she needs to be.
When Hisao befriends her Rin is very open with him. She acknowledges Hisao as her friend and quickly develops romantic feelings for him. When these feelings develop Rin is unable to express them through her speech, so she uses her art as an emotional conduit for Hisao. Throughout this process she eventually becomes much more distanced from everyone in her life including Emi, one of her closest friends at Yamaku.Due to Rin's inability to properly communicate her emotions, she is prone to bouts of depression. For Rin, art is the way she expresses her feelings and emotions, when she sees others simply comment on the demonstration of skill and talent rather than the emotions expressed through the work, it makes her feel even more isolated.
For most of Rin's life her emotions were simply an imitation of those around her. Much of the emotion she expresses towards Hisao is genuine.
Not much is stated about Rin's parents. However Rin's mentor and Yamaku's art teacher Nomiya is aware of how supportive they are when it comes to providing opportunities for their daughter.
Despite an apparent personality clash, Rin and Emi are best friends. They are supportive of each other, even if they do not wish to partake in the other's activities; Rin is happy to watch Emi's track meets and Emi helps with Rin's art, among other things. Because she lacks arms, Rin relies on Emi for many tasks-possibly the reason the housing department placed them across the hall from each other. Rin is also shown to be acquainted with Emi's mother Meiko as the two talk casually with one another.
Rin is also a member of the art club, and presumably has acquaintances from the club (including a blind boy who she mentions in passing), though she is not socially active.
As an art club member, Rin interacts quite regularly with Nomiya, but exhibits an apathy towards him and his friends, such as Sae Saionji, despite them being supportive of her artwork.
- Due to her inability at times to identify her own emotions and her trouble gauging the emotions of others, it is a safe assumption that Rin suffers from some degree of Alexithymia; a personality construct characterized by the sub-clinical inability to identify and describe emotions in the self.
- Rin is the only pursuable girl that the player can see with very noticeable tears flowing from her eyes on her sprite near the end of her route.
- The name Rin means "dignified, severe, cold," the last being the most likely relevant to her personality. (http://www.behindthename.com/name/rin)
- Her surname Tezuka is a reference to the Japanese animator and manga artist Ozamu Tezuka.
- The second unlockable main menu picture for Rin's plot shows Rin in the pose of the "Venus de Milo" which has also no arms (Hisao's pose is the one of "The Thinker")
See Rin's route for the full plot-line.
|Hisao Nakai • Emi Ibarazaki • Shizune Hakamichi • Lilly Satou • Hanako Ikezawa • Misha • Rin Tezuka • Kenji Setou|
|Akio Mutou • Nurse • Yuuko Shirakawa • Akira Satou • Meiko Ibarazaki • Shinichi Nomiya • Jigoro|
|Hideaki Hakamichi • Sae Saionji • Shopkeep • Miki Miura • Iwanako|
|Saki Enomoto • Rika Katayama • Track Team Captain|