- "At a young age, Hanako Ikezawa had a traumatic experience that left her life in shambles. Her parents died when their home burned down in an accident, which also disfigured Hanako permanently and leaving her in an orphanage. She is extremely shy, shunning from most other people to the point of actually panicking from any social contact. Her only trusted schoolmate is Lilly, who has taken Hanako under her wing ever since the two were introduced to each other."
- — Official Description
Hanako is a tall girl of average build with long, dark purple hair that nearly reaches her waist, as well as a slick of hair on the right side of her face that covers one of her eyes and partially covers her facial scars.
She's usually seen wearing the standard school uniform with a pair of black stockings and a pair of brown leather boots. Her pajamas consist of a long-sleeved and ankle-length light pink night gown, with a small red ribbon in the middle of her chest. Her casual clothes consist of a long-sleeved dark blue denim jacket with a light pink frilly necked blouse with a small black ribbon, a pair of long black pants, and black shoes. She also wears a black beret to cover her scars from passersby.
PersonalityEditHanako is a quiet and extremely shy girl, being likely to run away when an unfamiliar person tries to make contact with her (e.g Hisao on his first day at Yamaku). Despite her shy demeanor she does get along with certain students that she is acquainted with such as Lilly, Shizune, Emi and Misha, more so with Lilly who is her closest friend. She is initially very shy and evasive around Hisao, but soon they may become close friends.
She is usually very friendly despite not being very outspoken, especially with her close friends. However she lashes out at Hisao when he tries to get close to her on her birthday if the bad ending is achieved, stating that she hates to be treated like a weak and broken person.
Hanako's mother and father died in a house fire when she was eight, Hanako only survived because her mother shielded her from the flames. Unfortunately, the entire right side of Hanako's body was badly burned and scarred. With no living relatives, Hanako became a ward of the state.
Hanako has only brief acquaintances with her fellow students; the only person at Yamaku with whom she has a deeper relationship is Lilly. Their friendship started when Lilly moved into the dorm room next to hers. Hanako was able to open up to Lilly, presumably because her blindness meant that Lilly would not react to Hanako's scarring. Ever since Lilly moved into the dorm, their friendship deepened, with Hanako depending the most on Lilly. Lilly deeply cares for Hanako, always looking out for her well being. She even bought Hanako a doll for her birthday and a phone for Christmas. Although Shizune and Misha care for her well being as a student, they frown upon the liberties granted to her due to her social anxiety. Hanako is shown to be crippled in social situations on multiple occasions, and is prone to running away or even breaking down, going so far as becoming catatonic, only worsened by other students staring and speculating on what had happened. Later in Lilly's route she ends up joining the newspaper club and makes a few more friends, eventually overcoming her anxiety.
Hanako only interacts with Yamaku's staff members if necessary. Usually the teachers, mostly Mutou, try to give Hanako time to herself which often leads to her secluding herself in the library, even during class hours. Hanako is also acquainted with Yuuko the librarian through Lilly.
Hanako has few acquaintances outside of Yamaku. She is shown to be very fond of Lilly's elder sister Akira, who even attends Hanako's birthday party with a gift of two wine bottles. Akira takes Lilly, Hanako and Hisao for a night out in the city just before Lilly leaves for Scotland to visit her family. It is also mentioned that Hanako visits a therapist every weekend.
See Hanako's route for the full plot line.
Ten years ago at the age of eight, Hanako's house inexplicably caught in flames at night while everyone was asleep (hinted to have occurred on the night of her birthday), not only burning the house down and leaving Hanako with bad burns but also taking the lives of her parents. Miraculously Hanako survived due to her mother shielding Hanako from the flames. After spending a length of time in a hospital to recover, Hanako lived at an orphanage where she was constantly bullied and made fun of by other children, including girls who had been her friends before she was scarred by the fire. This made her become very aware of her scarring which developed into anxiety and eventually led to her self-inflicted social isolation. She secluded herself in the orphanage's library until she was offered the opportunity to attend Yamaku Academy.
- Out of the five main girls, Hanako has only one H-scene, while the rest have at least two.
- Hanako's name can mean "Flower Child". This can either be in contrast to Lilly's name or to exemplify her inner beauty.
- Hanako appears more outgoing in Lilly's Route than her own "Good Route" (though this is understandable, as chronologically, Lilly's Route goes farther than Hanako's Route).
- In the leaked beta version, it was revealed that Hanako's original route was a "trap" of sorts. If the player chose Hanako's path the only endings the player could get were bad. In order to get Hanako's good ending, you would have to first achieve all three of her bad endings and then the option for Hanako's good ending would be available as a branch off of Lilly's route.
- In the leaked beta version, much of Hanako's backstory is revealed and several details are different from the final release. For example, it was revealed that she lived with foster parents instead of at an orphanage. Also, before the fire that claimed her parents' lives broke out, they bought her a stuffed rabbit named Petra. It was the only item that survived the fire, and she still holds on to it as a memory. Finally, it is revealed that the fire was caused when a blackout occurred in Hanako's home town, which resulted in her mother lighting two candles in the night. One of them was left unattended and spread, causing the fire. Unlike in the final release, it was Hanako's father who saved her by being able to get her out of the house before it collapsed. It is also revealed that she indirectly caused the death of someone she had romantic feelings for by running away during the middle of her confession, leading to the boy in question to chase after her, where it can be assumed he suffered some form of major injury.
- Although Hanako's route is average in length in the final release, her original story from the leaked beta version is the longest, with hers being the only route in both versions of the game to have 4 acts (with the exception of Life Expectancy).
- Hanako is reading "Life of Pi" when Hisao first meets Hanako.
- Hanako is the only main character whose theme (Painful History) does not play when Hisao first meets her. Instead the song Everyday Fantasy is heard.
- Rin points out that she saw Hanako go to the bathroom a few times in a row. Considering the name Hanako, this might be a reference to a Japanese urban legend called Hanako-san which is about a young WWII era girl that haunts school bathrooms.
|Hisao Nakai • Emi Ibarazaki • Shizune Hakamichi • Lilly Satou • Hanako Ikezawa • Misha • Rin Tezuka • Kenji Setou|
|Akio Mutou • Nurse • Yuuko Shirakawa • Akira Satou • Meiko Ibarazaki • Shinichi Nomiya • Jigoro|
|Hideaki Hakamichi • Sae Saionji • Shopkeep • Miki Miura • Iwanako|
|Saki Enomoto • Rika Katayama • Track Team Captain|